Friday, June 11, 2010

True Leaves

I love to grow things. I love the excitement I feel when the first TRUE leaves appear on a plant. These are the leaves that define the plant. These are the leaves that help the observer identify the plant! When a seed is planted and germinates, the first leaves that we see on the seedling are not true leaves. The second set of leaves are the TRUE leaves. As the plant develops the first leaves will die away and fall off.

As I was watering my garden, I was marveling at the TRUE leaves on my okra plants. I get excited about these leaves because I know that things are really starting to "cook" in my garden when these leaves appear. We are on the way to fresh vegetables!!!


I often call my garden my PRAYER GARDEN. I love to spend time praying and listening while I plant, water, pull weeds, and harvest. It is one of my favorite quiet spots. As I started to think about the TRUE leaves that were bringing such excitement to my morning, I began to ponder about our TRUE leaves as a Christian. What do others see in my life that identify me as a Christian? As a teenager, I remember the line from a song that says, "They'll know we are Christians by our love." Do my TRUE leaves show love to those I come in contact with on a daily basis? What about those that are quietly watching me from afar? Do my leaves reflect Christ? Have I shed the first leaves (my old life) so that I can focus on growing the TRUE leaves?

Sadly, I fall short. Sometimes my leaves are wilted and damaged. Sometimes I allow things in my life that bring disease to my leaves. But, thankfully, I serve a heavenly Father that doesn't give up on me. He is the MASTER GARDENER that knows just the right amount of sunshine and water that I need. He feeds me through His word and sometimes He must prune me so that I may grow stronger.

I desire to "seek Him first" and "to live in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ". Father, help me to keep my eyes on you.

So... How is God growing you?

Blessings,

Debbie

P.S. I have a blog for my garden adventures. Click here to read it.






5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your posts. And what a beautiful family.
    Debbie Garbutt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Debbie. I think they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed my visit to your blog. Wishing you happiness, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love okra (fried)!

    Thanks for keeping up on my kitchen remodel. It has been a crazy time!

    Blessings to you,
    lana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katherine and Ilovemy5kids, thanks for stopping by my blog. If you get a change, check out my garden blog.

    http://connect-dots-garden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete